It’s no secret that I am not a fan of consumerism. I absolutely love the magic of Christmas and the holiday season, but the stress of shopping, spending money, and giving people more crap that they don’t need makes me cringe.
So, instead of participating in the consumer Christmas frenzy, this year I decided to make many of the presents that I’ll be giving away. The first of my homemade Christmas present projects were these Coconut Citrus Body Scrubs. A friend gifted me with a jar & I fell in love. It smells divine and leaves my skin feeling like silk. I had to make some for my friends & family, too!
Below, find instructions on how to make your own. (Gentlemen, you can use this too or it would make an amazing gift for a special lady in your life!)
- Holiday Ribbon
- 2 Glass Jars (I used 1/2 pint, wide mouth, Ball mason jars)
- Crazy Glue
- Paint Samples in Christmas Colours
- Microwave-Safe Bowl
- 16 Ounces Coconut Oil (I used Barleans Organic which is also a Fair Trade product)
- 1 Organic Lemon
- Salt (I used Course Mediterranean Sea Salt)
- Grapeseed Oil
1. Collect all materials and clear your working space.
2. Scoop 16 ounces of coconut oil into your bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. (Oil should be warm, but not liquid. The warm texture is much easier to work with.)
3. Grate lemon zest into coconut oil.
4. Pour salt into coconut lemon mixture. Add enough salt so that body scrub will work as an exfoliant. You will have to experiment to get it right. I used about 1/2 – 3/4 of a 17.6 ounce tube of salt.
5. Pour in a dash of grapeseed oil. Just a dash! A little goes a long way.
6. Stir all ingredients together with fork. Ladle scrub into jar with spoon.
7. The next step is decorating the jars. For the jar labels, I used some Christmas-coloured paint samples that I picked up at a local hardware store.
8. Use the hole punch to punch out some Christmas-shapes.
9. Using the jar lid, trace two circles onto the paper. The larger circle will indicate where to cut the paper. The smaller circle will indicate where your text should be.
10. Cut a piece of ribbon a little longer than the length of the jar lid. Wrap ribbon and crazy glue the ribbon to the lid.
11. Use a dot of glue to attach one Christmas tree to the lid. Then, use a Sharpie to label the lid.
There you have it! Your very own homemade Christmas presents. This recipe will make enough scrub for about two jars. If you’re dying for a jar, but this seems like too much work, check out my Etsy shop. I’m selling them! (Unfortunately, there’s not enough time for Christmas deliveries, but these make an excellent gift all year round and I can customize the jar decorations for you. Think birthdays, anniversaries, or a special treat for yourself!) ♥